Sunday 21 September 2014

Travel Writing-The Crab Story

The crab story was something that I remembered well from our trip. From my mum's point of view the story changes every time we bring it up but this was how it went.

Me and my family were in Barbados, as my dad had won a golf tournament and the prize was a trip to play golf in St Michael's. While he played golf,me my brother and my mum soaked up the sun, and the incredible surroundings so we already knew it was a trip we wouldn't forget. The pale white beach which was less than ten seconds from the hotel, and the emerald colored sea was the best features of this Caribbean island. The beach had holes dug out if it, which of course I now know were crab dens.

A few days later we went for an evening walk. Although it was the evening the temperature was still high, about 25-30 degrees so the evenings were pleasant. This story is memorable because of the way my mum screamed when it happened. I was walking behind my dad,mum and brother, because I was captivated with the scenes of the crabs so I was taking it all in. They were nesting in the rock pools along the pathway and I would say there was about 300 of them, so it was quite ominous when you looked at them for more than a few seconds. The crabs blended in quite well as they were a coal black colour or a dusty grey colour. But while taking in the backdrop it happened.

"Ahhhhhhhhh" I heard, as I looked up my mum is hiding behind my dad and my dad's expression was one of confusion because he was thinking about what had happened. What had actually happened was one of the crabs that was on the rocks of the rock pools, had ran out in front of my mum's foot which caused her to, in the words of my dad, "jump like a wuss". My brother was laughing as he is normally the one who gets scared by animals nearby, but this was a day that he would be able to use in the future.

The story continues to change four years after we went (October 2010), it changes from running in front of my mum, to running over my mum's foot or the most recent one, ran between my mum's legs, but whatever one we use it's still a good memory to bring up and to laugh about.

No comments:

Post a Comment