Monday 29 September 2014

The Jesus Statue-by Calum Rogers


Geoffrey is sat in the church. He is alone, but the ominous statue of Jesus Christ behind the altar seems as if another person is there with him. He is sat in one of the pews on the left hand side, but near the middle of the section. He is in deep contemplation about the events that have happened while holding rosary beads.

Geoffrey: I never thought for a moment that Susan would have had so many issues to deal with. I know that life can be harsh but I never thought it would have effected her, not at all. She was strong y'know? Like many young wives but this caught me by surprise. I had my suspicions that something wasn't quite right but like Jesus said never pick out others flaws if you have a bigger flaw yourself, so I turned a blind eye, as a matter of fact I convinced myself that it would sort it self out...I knew I should have stepped in to help her. It was the same Susan that I had married all those years ago, but... something was a miss, a shell, a empty lifeless shell of a soul that has been corrupted by drink and sexual urges. It was something that caught me by surprise but once I caught on did not surprise me at all.

[Running the Rosary beads through his fingers]

I wanted to help her, I should of helped her. If someone close to your heart, who you have complete and utter love and passion for is in desperate need of help, well its obvious isn't it, you're going to want to help them... aren't you? Only in my case it was different I couldn't just step in and help because I hadn't caught onto it yet. What was I supposed to do? Confront my wife and say are you an alcoholic? Accuse her of improving her relations with a dashing Indian man? No, I’m better than that I won't go around forcing the truth out of others, it's not who I am. To be perfectly honest I knew something was up when see kept leaving early from my sermon's. I knew she'd heard them all before but it was constant for the last few months and now I know why she was leaving.

[Geoffrey, who has now moved to the church confessional box. Although nobody is there listening to him, he moves there for more privacy in case someone were to walk in while he was speaking to the Jesus statue.]

Susan, would always say 'nothing is wrong with me' or 'I've got nothing to hide' but of course she did. Going to a shop in Leeds for liquor and intercourse which is absolutely ridiculous. I mean I can understand the liquor but she didn't have to go behind my back that was what hurt the most, when you trust someone and they go behind your word y'know? As a matter of fact I didn't know how I managed to sum up the courage and the strength to forgive her and her Indian lover. Violence was not the answer so I prayed for them...three days worth of quiet contemplation and asking God to forgive there sins. Although Susan would always say 'don't pray for me as I'm not worth it'...but I love her despite her flaws and I want her sins to be forgiven. As for the Indian man well,although I was hurt I wanted him to know someone is looking out for him even if it is his lovers husband...and I hope that God can see my view on the matter.

[Leaving the confessional box and the church, Geoffrey turns to the Jesus statue and looks at the calm expression on his face. Just before leaving he says a short prayer...]

Dear Jesus, please find it in your heart to forgive Susan's and her lovers sins as they have gone against mine and your word. Give them the strength to confront their problems and help them progress in life as better people, Amen.


[Geoffrey says this prayer and drops the rosary beads on the aisle and as he is leaving the church all you can hear is complete stillness and the quiet sobs of the vicar himself.]

No comments:

Post a Comment